Lean Six Sigma (LSS) is a combination of two popular continuous improvement methods —Lean and Six Sigma— that pave the way for operational excellence. Primary focus of these methodologies are to reduce waste, streamline processes, and increase efficiency to provide a better and faster response to the needs of the customers we serve. These time-tested approaches provide departments and organizations with a clear path to achieving their missions, both on campus and beyond.
Depending on experience and expertise, you can train for any color belt. At UCSB we are able to support delivery of White, Yellow and Green Belt training through the Office of the Chief Information Officer (OCIO.)
Yellow Belt Certification
The OCIO is now providing a virtual Lean Six Sigma Yellow Belt certification course, which can be attained through three instruction sessions. Leveraging hands-on practice with common tools and an engaging, restaurant-themed project simulation, participants will attend a virtual learning experience unlike any other. These sessions will also provide resources and examples to highlight the many ways in which LSS can assist teams in adopting a process-first, continuous improvement mindset.
Why should you get your Yellow Belt through the OCIO?
- Integrates tools and techniques widely utilized on campus
- Material is tailored to include impacts within higher education
- Internal resource to reach out to for future support, guidance, and facilitation
- Promotes shared UCSB terminology
- Build relationships with members of other campus organizations
- Minimal time commitment necessary
Upcoming Training Dates
- 08/08/2022 from 8:30 am - 11:30 am
- 08/10/2022 from 8:30 am - 11:30 am
- 08/12/2022 from 8:30 am - 11:30 am
- 09/12/2022 from 8:30 am - 11:30 am
- 09/14/2022 from 8:30 am - 11:30 am
- 09/16/2022 from 8:30 am - 11:30 am
- 10/17/2022 from 8:30 am - 11:30 am
- 10/19/2022 from 8:30 am - 11:30 am
- 10/21/2022 from 8:30 am - 11:30 am
UCSB launched a LSS Green Belt training pilot in late 2018, organized by Garry Mac Pherson, Vice Chancellor for Administrative Services and former CIO Matt Hall. Since that first cohort, over 50 UCSB staff have graduated from the program and earned their Green Belts.
The Lean Six Sigma (LSS) Green Belt course includes hands-on, instructor-led training via UC San Diego Extension. This training entails eight half day sessions of virtual instruction over a two month period. These training sessions will be taking place on Friday mornings. In addition to their training, Green Belt candidates will also complete a process improvement project that results in a minimum of $40K hard or soft savings for campus and present their final project work for evaluation approximately 6 weeks after the last day of instruction.
Information about the Green Belt application process is available here.
Black Belt and Beyond
Currently, UCSB is not offering internal training for levels beyond Green Belt. If you’re interested in pursuing additional Lean Six Sigma Belts such as Black Belt or Master Black Belt, please reach out to the OCIO and we will be happy to provide you with available resources and options.